Saturday, August 15, 2009
Who: The Atlanta Dream (12-11) take on the Seattle Storm (13-10) as Atlanta tries to hang on to second place in the Eastern Conference.
The Dream have Chamique Holdsclaw (14.8 ppg) as well as All-Star Team members Sancho Lyttle (13.1 ppg) and Erika de Souza (10.8 ppg). Seattle has perennial MVP candidate Lauren Jackson (19.3 ppg) and the every popular Sue Bird (11.9 ppg, 5.6 apg)
What: The first of two games this year against Seattle. The Dream is 0-2 all time against the Storm, losing 83-69 at Philips and 77-72 at Key Arena in Seattle in 2008.
Where: Philips Arena in Atlanta, GA.
When: Tipoff is 7:00 pm Eastern on Saturday, August 15th - tonight. Be there or b^2.
Why: There are a multitude of reasons why.
1. The most obvious reason is that this is going to be the only chance to see Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson in person - miss this game and you'll have to wait til next year.
2. This is as good a chance as any for our first win against Seattle. Ashley Walker has a fractured left toe and Katie Gearlds has a left posterior cruciate ligament tear. The Storm are essentially playing with only nine players. Atlanta has a deep bench, and could get a satisfying win against one of the best teams in the West.
3. The Storm only shot 30 percent in their 64-53 loss against the Sun two nights ago. It was a season low for the Storm. Winning on the road is touch; that performance showed how tough it is.
4. Camille Little was the first player to bail out of the Dream. So there's that. Seattle was able to acquire Little at the cost of giving up their second round draft pick in the 2009 WNBA Draft. Who did we get for that pick? Shalee Lehning.
5. The Dream are going to wear pink uniforms, and that's always amusing. Armintie Price will be wearing Tamera Young's old number, #11 - the trade happened so close to gametime that there was no opportunity to get a new uniform made.
6. There will be a silent auction pre-game. If you've not heard of such a thing, a "silent auction" is where you walk by and write down your bid on an item. Among the items bid for are some pink shoes from Ivory Latta and Lisa Leslie and other interesting paraphernelia. Proceeds will benefit the DeKalb Medical and Kay Yow Foundations.
7. The Dream host the Decatur Women's Sports League. Other organizations will be benefited, including the Atlanta Lesbian Health Initiative and Georgia Equality.
8. First 3000 fans get pink pom-poms. So come out and shake your money maker.