Monday, July 14, 2008

Did Houston's Early Dominance Hurt the WNBA?


While netscouring, I found an interesting opinion about the WNBA found in a blog about NASCAR, of all things. As Julie Bork says it....

Let me explain:

How many people remember when the WNBA was emerging a couple of years ago? It had a great start and there was lots of interest, and there were many basketball stadiums that were built and remodeled to accommodate a national women’s team. So what happened? The Houston Comets dominated the first five years of the sport, and people lost interest. So you say what about those people from Houston, they did not loose interest, right? WRONG! The ticket sales declined to almost nothing even in the Comets home town. You can hardly give the tickets away for free now. I am from Houston, and I lost interest too.


There's no way to prove that hypothesis, of course. But it's a very interesting one.

1 comment:

Q McCall said...

Nice find here.

I have to say that for me this is probably true, after it started to seem predictable, I sort of lost interest. :/

Regardless, I think parity is important for any league...so it's moving in the right direction....