Friday, January 23, 2009
For just a couple of years together....
There's a rumor that Tina Thompson, formerly the face of the Houston Comets, will be hooking up with Lisa Leslie as the newest member of the Los Angeles Sparks. What makes this potential signing particularly interesting is that Leslie and Thompson are 1-2 in career points in the WNBA.
I decided to look only among the top 16 scorers in WNBA history and see if any of them had played on teams with each other. I then determined the combined career points of those players - even if they only played together briefly. (Why the top 16? I wanted an easy to calculate Top 10 List.)
Here are the teams - and the years - you had to be watching if you wanted to see the WNBA's top career scorers playing on the same team (*):
1. Lisa Leslie, Chamique Holdsclaw, and Mwadi Mabika, Sparks (2005-06) - 13,456 career points
2. Sheryl Swoopes, Lauren Jackson and Yolanda Griffith, Storm (2008) - 13,425 career points
3. Lisa Leslie, Delisha Milton-Jones and Mwadi Mabika, Sparks (2000-04) - 13,087 career points
4. Tina Thompson and Sheryl Swoopes, Comets (1997-2000, 2002-07) -10,028 career points
5. Katie Smith and Betty Lennox, Lynx (2000-02) - 8,556 career points
6. Yolanda Griffith and Tangela Smith, Monarchs (2000-04) - 8,342 career points
7. Lauren Jackson and Betty Lennox, Storm (2004-07) - 8,081 career points
8. Chamique Holdsclaw and Taj McWilliams-Franklin, Sparks (2007) - 7,737 career points
9. Nykesha Sales and Taj McWilliams-Franklin, Miracle/Sun (1999-2006) - 7,717 career points
10. Vickie Johnson and Becky Hammon, Liberty (1999-2005), Silver Stars (2007-08) - 7,515 career points
* - Top 16 Career Scorers only considered