Thursday, June 25, 2009

Shalee Lehning in the News



The Garden City Telegram -- apparently Shalee Lehning's home town newspaper - has a brand new blog entry from Shalee. An excerpt:

We now have a four game home stand so we will be in Atlanta for a while. It will be great to play a couple games in a row at home! Hopefully this will be a great chance for us to gain some momentum! My mom is coming to spend a week or so with me so I’m very excited to see her. She worked so hard in her rehab from her knee surgery so now she gets to come watch me play! My dad was scheduled to come visit as well but my brothers wife is due to have her baby any day now so he is staying close in case our little man decides to come soon! My mom will also be going to Wyoming when the baby comes so that will be an exciting time for our family. I just wish I could be around to see more of my nieces and nephews as they grow up. Being in college and now the pros has really taken time away from my family so I haven’t been able to see a lot of their special moments.

You know what you have to do to read the rest: click the link, above.

Shalee was also honored by Kansas State University, her alma mater. Kansas State University created a women's basketball scholarship in Lehning's name.

Didn't Lehning already get a scholarship to play basketball? My understanding is that this is a supplemental scholarship which provides financial assistance (in Lehning's name) to future ball players - a lot of basketball players get the scholarship to play, which pays for some but not all expenses. A lot of players struggle financially to make ends meet.

"Big name" men's basketball teams usually offer these scholarships, which are usually in the name of one of the past greats. Women's basketball is slowly building its scholarships, and Lehning should be proud of the honor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the scholarship is one for future players in her name. But she is a true Kansas State Women's Basketball hero in this state. Everyone who has ever watched a game instantly falls in love with her. You might not have seen it yet, but believe me, it will come. I personally don't even thing of her as "Shalee the basketball star" to me she's just simply "Shalee, the nicest person I've known" I'm not kidding. We love her, not just for her playing, but for who she is. And considering this is started in the Sublette area, you have to remember, they made up probably half of the attendance over the last 4 years, even with a 4-5 hour drive!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first comment. Ive been a KSU womens basketball fan for as long as I can remember. I am from lincoln, nebraska, and have been to more than 35 KSU games since Shalee was a freshman. after all the games in lincoln, I walk down by the locker rooms to tell the KSU girls good job. Shalee is the most pleasant person to talk to even after a loss. I have a souvenir cup from Bramlage Colliseum that has the pictures of former KSU basketball greats, and Shalee is featured by the pics of Michael Beasley, Bill Walker, and Nicole Ohlde. She is a wonderful person and a wonderful basketball player.