Saturday, November 28, 2009

Monarchs Watch: Day 9



An interesting little blurb from the Sacramento Bee:

WNBA fans attending games at Arco Arena will notice something different in the rafters. The banners honoring the 2005 WNBA championship team and retired jerseys of Ruthie Bolton and former general manager Jerry Reynolds are no longer there.

It was announced last week that the Monarchs had ceased operations as Kings ownership decided to focus on the NBA team. The WNBA hopes to find new ownership for the team in the Bay Area.


Well, I hope that anyone reading this blog can forgive me for not supporting the Kings and hoping they go 0-82. Then again, I don't watch the NBA anyway so I don't think the Sacramento Kings are going to notice my missing patronage.

This reminds me of the end of the Charlotte Sting in 2006. The Sting retired Andrea Stinson's number - #32 - and there was a banner at what was then called Charlotte Bobcats Arena. This banner - from what I understand - is no longer there. Furthermore, I can't find out an answer from anyone what happened to it. Moved to the basement? Thrown in the trash? I've written the arena, but I've never gotten an answer to that question. If anyone knows whatever happened to that banner, please write.

No comments: