Saturday, November 8, 2008

Olivais-Extrugasa Gallery



A gallery of pictures of the recent Olivais victory over Extrugasa in Eurocup play can be found here. Sorry, no pictures of Tamera Young.

Oddly enough, I found the gallery from a critical comment on the Olivais-Extrugasa game. The commenter took offense to the use of the term "hostile atmosphere", which came out of a translation of a article in the Spanish media. I figured the meaning would be understood, but I was wrong - I should have explained myself better.

It just goes to show - you can't say that Olivais fans don't love their team. It was indeed a major victory for Olivais, and their supporters have every reason to be proud of it.

3 comments:

Jaime Carvalho e Silva said...

Hello again
I took offense not only on the "hostile" part but also on the part "Olivais club officials encouraged fans to create a "hostile atmosphere" and this is simply not correct. We do not treat our guests with hostility and "Olivais club officials" are not thugs creating a bad atmosphere.
Oh well, the internet is full of things lost in translation...
You can find more photos of the game here:

http://www.olivaiscoimbra.com/index.php?progoption=news&do=shownew&topic=11&newid=425

Anonymous said...

Hello again. :D

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I finally found the source of the quote:

Prodep appears to be a website that represents players that play in the Liga Femenina in Spain.

From prodep at http://www.prodep.com/es/noticia.asp?item=7913

"The club has appealed to fans to create a hostile atmosphere in the hall toward the Extrugasa. "

(El club ha hecho un llamamiento a la afición para generar un ambiente hostil en el pabellón hacia el Extrugasa.)

I don't know if this is the best English translation of this sentence, or if I'm missing context. What exactly is "un ambiente hostil"? Because now I'm curious.

Jaime Carvalho e Silva said...

Hello
The word "hostile" is not a very nice word in Spanish or Portuguese. It means aggressive, rude, not friendly at all. And what this means is that who wrote this sentence is lying. That is not good. I hope this has no consequences and that when we go to Spain everybody will just be thinking about playing good basketball.